Friday, August 16, 2013

Back Again

It has been a while since I blogged. I planned on blogging more often since class officially ended, but the schedule of a new school year has left me with little time. However, I have finally found a good time to get in a blog entry.

This Wednesday we officially started our work days. We met together for a breakfast at the high school, met the new people, talked about benefits, etc. This day got me super excited for the school year. First of all, we have a new superintendent as our superintendent received a position at my alma mater, Dordt College. I have gotten to know him a bit over the past few weeks, and he is a great man to be around and has some great plans for our school. We also are bringing in several new teachers, both at the elementary and high school levels. This amongst other changes has me thinking about how great the year will be.

One of the main things our superintendent wants us to focus on is collaboration. We have developed collaboration teams for specific grade levels as well as departmental teams. Hopefully this brings unity between the different sectors of school, and we can create a fluid academic plan for the students as they come through our school.

I also got my class list, and I am so excited to have the students I do. This class was my wife's first class, so she knows many of my students and I have gotten to know them as well. I have high expectations for myself this year as I have reflected on my teaching practices. I know I won't be able to fix all of the issues, but I know that there is plenty for me to work on.

We have two more work days before the students come. I don't feel fully ready because we usually have more work days before the weekend comes. I still need to meet with our other teachers to develop our schedule, but hopefully that doesn't take us too long to figure out! The students come in on Monday evening to meet me and find their locker assignments, so I need to be pretty well prepared for then. Hopefully I can get plenty done that morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment