Saturday, July 13, 2013

Guest Blog - Jennifer Van Der Hoek

The following entry is from my sister-in-law, Jennifer Van Der Hoek. She will be teaching secondary English at Timothy Christian High School in Elmhurst, IL. She has developed a passion for literature and writing from a high school English teacher, and she hopes to incorporate blogging into her classroom routine.

It all began when I was a freshman in college. "Media and Technology" was the name of the course, and Facebook and Twitter didn't cut it for integrating into our plans as future teachers. We spent each class learning something new to do with technology for the classes we would teach some years later, many of which have since faded and probably will never trend their way back into classroom. One of those things was not blogging, not in my book anyways. 

My first experience with blogging took me hours to figure out and only minutes to forget once I got that A. I could not have cared any less about the perks to blogging. All I cared about was passing. 

That all changed as I prepared for my semester abroad. I packed my bags, said my goodbyes, and left with an open mind and empty memory card-- both of which were itching to be filled with lifelong memories. The problem there was that my memory card couldn't fit all of the moments I wanted to capture (plus I ended up breaking my camera), and my mind was sure to forget some of the details of my crazy adventures. I had to think of another way to share my experience with others and allow my story to be retold as often as I wanted, even to myself. Blogging quickly became the answer.

My blogs from Europe allowed me to relive my time overseas as clearly and with as much joy as I did over a year ago, and it allowed others to share those emotions and understand what a Facebook album can't contain. It gives stories passion and readers pictures their eyes couldn't see before. 

Blogging has become my way to channel my emotions and thoughts and give access to those who desire to hear my story, to learn new things, and to see secondhand what else this world has to offer. Since Europe I have created 2 other blogs-- one from another overseas experience and one from my experience teaching in a public school. To this day, I re-read those stories and am able to re-live the times and experience that helped me become the friend, the teacher, and the person I am today.

If you would like to read these blogs that Jennifer has written about, you can find them here: Thoughts All Around! (Her adventures in Europe), North High Lights (Her student teaching experience in Sioux City), and Gut Reactions (Her student teaching experience in the Dominican Republic).

4 comments:

  1. Jennifer (and Nathan), your experience actually highlights one of the things we know from the research into professional development. Things that are taught to teachers, regardless of how much time they get to play first hand in the classroom, are often not incorporated into their teaching. When teachers have the chance to have a play with the technology themselves and get to internalize both how to use the tool (i.e., the technical aspects) and how the tool can be used (i.e., how they use it personally); they immediately begin to see ways that the tool can and can't be used in their own teaching context.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember learning about new Web 2.0 tools and how they could be used in the classroom early on in my education program. I have very little recollection of what they were or how to use them now. I am appreciating how I am learning about blogging and doing it, keeping the knowledge fresh in my mind.

      Delete
  2. Jennifer (and Nathan), I truly appreciated your comment about spending hours trying to figure out blogging and minutes to forget it. I try to remember that philosophy when teaching my students. This is where careful lesson planning is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, I really appreciated your view of blogging, particularly how it did not become meaningful until you had a clear purpose for using it.

    Your example is a good reminder of how personally powerful blogging can be and how important it is that a purpose for using a tool is clearly defined. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete